Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Upcycle Baby Food Jars: Spice Bottles

So I have tons and tons of empty baby food jars that I hate to throw away but am not willing to drive an hour and a half to recycle.  I also have a ton of spices that are in a bunch of different sizes and shapes and take up tons of room.  So I copied this idea of using baby food jars as spice jars.

Now she made hers into magnets on the fridge but I just stuck mine back in the cupboard and saved so much room.



Also now I can buy spices in bulk and Winco and not worry about trying to get those dang spice jars open!

I used the basic sized baby food jars.  Cleaned them and then boiled both the jars and lids in water for 15 min (my dishwasher is unreliable at best so I went the old fashioned way).  I dried them off and went to work.

For my paper I used DCWV Nana's Kitchen stack so they would all be coordinated easy without stress.  I cut the pages into 1"x8" strips.  Now the girl I copied used mod podge to attach the paper to the jars, and if you are going to have them on the fridge I would do that as well.  But since mine are staying in a cupboard most of the time I chose to leave them a little more textured and just used hot glue.  Also if I really hate the paper I can start over much easier.  Then I wrote the spice name on the jar and filled it up.


A side note, what did I do with all those empty spice jars?  I tossed them in D.J.'s toy bucket of course.  Why pay for toy food when you can give them their own versions of the real stuff.  My mom put stuff like that is a drawer in our kitchen growing up that we could play with while she cooked.  I think it played a huge role in all of her children loving to work (well cook) in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment