Pages

Friday, March 7, 2014

DIY Moby Wrap

Wow it's been a long time.  I blame my brother getting married and moving 3 times over the summer, one move was across the country (literally from Southern California to Maine!).  Any who, now that we have baby #2 on the way and my sister-in-law and my sister-of-the-heart are having babies in the same month we are back to DIY baby pins!  Yay!

So to start, my favorite baby gift with little man was a Moby Wrap, I would never have bought it for myself but my aunt got it for me and oh my goodness was it the most amazing thing!  Even my husband used it while he was on the computer.  
Aren't they cute?
I bought myself one of those sling things and never felt comfortable walking around with the baby in it.  I always felt like he was going to fall out.  I never worried about that with the Moby.  I used it for church, the store, laundry, dishes, basically everywhere and everything I did little man was in the moby... except when I was cooking cause that is not smart.

Any who as much as I believe they are worth every penny I do not have many pennies these days and with 2 equally loved women having babies I thought I would make them.  Especially since this tutorial  from Leanne Barlow at Elle Apparel gets to 2 mobys out of one cut of fabric.

I had a hard time finding the fabric at the store, some day I will write a whole post about how besides leaving friends the hardest part of moving to another part of the country is having no idea where and what the stores are.  So I went hunting online.  I found this Jersey Knit at fabric.com and bought 6 yards of it.  It is a little thinner but has about the same stretch as my store bought Moby so I'm pleased.  If you wanted you could double it up for extra support, but having tested it I really don't think you need it.  Just follow her directions and cut it in half long ways and taper the ends.  Make sure you have a large work space (I used my kitchen floor) since you will be working with 6 yards of fabric and keeping it that long.

Over all I liked this tutorial, it was easy enough to follow and I'm happy with the way it turned out.  I think I'm going to add  print or a design in the middle for easier wrapping.  


I wont model the one I made since I am pregnant and gross and used a 10lb bag of sugar to test it out but here is the fabric all laid out on the toddler table :)  
Okay maybe rolled up on the toddler table.  
Cost of 1 regular Moby: $44 and up
What I spent: $34.90 on 2.... or $17.45 on each.... Not bad I say :)

No comments:

Post a Comment